Can You Pass This Month’s Test on Homelessness?
Don’t worry. Our monthly Quick Quizzes aren’t like college entrance exams. They’re fun, informative and thought-provoking.
When learning about people who lack permanent housing, you’ll see few experts in the “homelessness industry.” Despite our years of experience at West Side Homeless Outreach, we continue to learn. So, however much you think you know about the unsheltered, prepare to learn more—and enjoy the adventure.
Ideally, this month’s Quick Quiz will help you do that.
1. Most west Los Angeles County homeless people move into Section 8 (low-income) housing within 30 days of filing their applications.
2. The need for homeless shelters is burgeoning throughout L.A. County, so more of these facilities are being built.
3. Since January 1, the number of homeless mothers with young children contacting West Side Homeless Outreach has nearly tripled.
4. All of the following statements are true regarding west L.A. County homelessness except:
A. December through March, L.A. County will provide cold-weather shelters for local homeless people.
B. One must be homeless for at least 90 days before receiving General Relief (GR) and receiving an EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer) card from the county.
C. If homeless in Santa Monica, one must be homeless in that city for at least five years before receiving certain services from some local agencies.
D. Several days before Thanksgiving, a huge upswing in volunteerism on behalf of the homeless occurs. After Thanksgiving, though, it quickly drops.
5. Which one of the following is true?
A. West Side Homeless Outreach needs equal donations of men’s, women’s and children’s clothing.
B. All homeless people need a homeless shelter.
C. WSHO encounters an equal number of unsheltered men and women on west L.A. County streets.
D. Local homelessness is a complex problem that requires detailed solutions.
For the ANSWERS, please click here. West L.A. County homeless people need your assistance more than ever. You can help us help them. West Side Homeless Outreach is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) charity, so your donations are completely tax deductible. Individuals, families, companies and other groups are among our biggest backers. To become one of our valued supporters, click on donate. Thank you for your generous support.